knitting, that's it. and "Hi Mom"

knit and art. knit and art. knit and art.

Friday, June 30, 2006

Razzle Dazzle 'Em



What does a knitter blog about when she's working on a shawl, and the photo of today's work doesn't look much different than the one from two day's ago (or whenever it was I last blogged)? In the words of the song from my favorite musical to movie production, "Razzle Dazzle 'em!"

So here's Hyrna, we're now up to row 62 (progress past the last point from whence I frogged the entire thing)....THIS IS REALLY THE FURTHEST I"VE GOTTEN TO DATE WITH THIS SHAWL! Its getting exciting for me), photographed artistically with one of my favorite necklace creations. (its turquiose and swarovski crystals. the front is seed beads and crystals that are woven into the medallion shape). No, I didn't just make the necklace today, but I did find it after it has been lost for several months!

I didn't take photos of the kids' art classes this week. Its been exciting though....lots of hard core work. So I'll tell you what happened: I had two classes of 5 year old's successfully accomplish drawings using single point perspective! (thunderous rounds of applause should be heard resounding around the world). I couldn't believe they actually were getting it! Each of them in tonight's class drew cities around a train track that we used the single point perspective technique. And then they were allowed to create their own little cities - only rule was they had to use the same vanishing point (which is quite easy to do for anyone who knows what this all means, but think of this in a 5 year old's intellect). I wish I could convey to you the depth of self-pride they had when their parents came in and they showed them their drawings - and the amazements on parent's faces. I love my job! It is the single most rewarding job in all my busynesses (yes, that was the correct word).

tomorrow morning, my son will be testing for his green belt in karate! It starts at 7:00 am with a 3 mile run, then push ups (like in the hundreds), stretches, demonstrations of technique perfecttions....its going to be awesome and I'm going to be there watching (and knitting, I don't need to watch him run and do push ups for an hour and a half). He's an awesome kid! He's fought hard in life to be who he is - completely deaf in one ear, auto immune disordered, 14 but petite like a 2nd grader, bullied, ....I put him in karate and suddenly none of that mattered anymore. He's strong and carries himself with confidence now. He was in a hard battle with depression, and now look at him! You better bet I'll be there supporting him!

Someone (RHO) asked me about the shingles. they are now managed. I had no idea how serious this infliction could be and can't imagine having to go through it and older than i am. I wear a lido derm patch during the day (12 hours max) and Neurotin at night (can't take it in the day). No more darveset or atarax. Its not gone, but definitely much better. People are starting to tell me that I look better. I was pretty ragged looking last month.



Okay....all the boring reading stuff over. You may now return to your regularly scheduled "Whose Line Is It Anyway" (I love the dynamics in that group!)....and wasn't So You Think You Can Dance? awesome this week! (btw: don't try to knit on Hyrna while watching tv. )

2 Comments:

At July 03, 2006 11:13 AM, Blogger rho said...

So glad you are starting to see the end of the shingles in sight at least. I haven't had them but knew from friends and family who have had them how bad it was.

I cannot imagine how proud you must be of the kiddies and their art and how much fun it must have been to watch them show off for their parents. Too cool....

Whoo Hooo on the son and his karate -- how did he make out??

have a super 4th

 
At July 04, 2006 5:10 PM, Blogger Jeanette said...

Rho! He made it! He had to work hard, though, and endure the wrath of his karate intructor (keoshi???) who was rather irritated that day at some of the students who didn't know their stuff as they should.

I'm so proud! I got pictures but I figured no one really wanted to see them on my blog.

What was really cool that day as well was watching a couple of guys testing for the black belts. That was awesome to watch.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home