knitting, that's it. and "Hi Mom"

knit and art. knit and art. knit and art.

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Cashmere Medallions and Sunflowers


Smack my hands I'm being such a lazy blogger this week. I've gone ga-ga over the Colourmart cashmere I received and have been crocheting (!) with it. I used to crochet and hated it because it hurt my hands so much, but I'm really enjoying it this time with the softness of this yarn. The color is called Peony and it is a laceweight 100% cashmere. Its amazing!

I started a new class of kids and this one has a lot of 5 and 6 year olds in it. Its a tough class and I breathe one big sigh when we're done. They try hard...but I think that I am teaching too far above their levels. Last week we did a Matisse study and let's just say that my art professor in college was WRONG - I am NOT the MESSIEST painter ever.

Mary had posted a comment asking about whether it is paint by number these kids do. NO! Absolutely not. Last month we were working with proportions and precision in our works. I teach a method (we call it "heads tall") where they have to look at what they are drawing and determine the percentage of a determined measurement and then judge its angles and shapes and then place it correctly on their surface. Its a lot easier than I just made it sound - but the students I take on are pretty profiecient in art and are there to learn artist's methods. The particular painting you commented on was their study on one of Monet's Sailboats in the Regatta series. Their goal that day was to replicate what he had done. I think they did a great job!



And this is that Italian Sunflowers painting that I "threw" together the other day. Its a big painting and the colors are intense - I love it, and so did the store where it is consigned at.
And one last art painting: Butterflies and Gerberas is done also (this is one I started a few weeks ago.)

And for those who leave comments - once again, I apologize that I have not written everyone. I"m still quite computer illiterate and when blogger sends the message to me, I can't always figure out the email address to send a message back to....plus, well, remember last week when I said I was expecting "That" relative (Aunt Flo)....she's such a pain in the butt when she's around. (I'm sure you all wanted to know that).

1 Comments:

At March 15, 2006 5:17 PM, Blogger zippiknits...sometimes said...

Your paintings are stunningly beautiful. Thanks for posting the links to your Gallery and to your blog.

I sooo want to paint again. Color vision is the greatest gift, well, maybe music is almost up there, but I couldn't life in a black and white world.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home