knitting, that's it. and "Hi Mom"

knit and art. knit and art. knit and art.

Saturday, January 14, 2006

The Flower Child contest!

Aren't photo's of unfinished objects ugly???? Yesterday I worked on 2 different UFO's....This one is "Wildflower" (named after one of the most delightful knitting stores I've ever visited, Wildflower's in Manhattan KS). Its a cardigan design (by moi) that is going into a book being published by Wiley (the same people who did "...... for Dummies". The particular book I'm in is one of a series of 3 (one on knitting, one on crochet, on on beadwork). It will be out in September and distributed widely. That's all I know about the book. I have to have my pattern written out next month and then the final sweater to them in March. I've knit up to the armpits and have put it all on a long circular for holding at this point while I catch the sleeves up to the body.
And then yesterday, I knit another poppy. This one is done in cashmere (ColourMart), and the center is embellished with real pearls of varying colors (they can be bought at nicer bead stores). I'm currently knitting a field of them and hoping to take samples out to some stores on Tuesday. The bead store has already said that they will sell them, but we can't figure out a price. It takes me an average of 2 1/2 to 3 hours to make them, plus supplies (at an average of 2 1/2 hours, giving myself a wage of 5$ an hour, that's $12, plus supplies; wholesale, this thing is around $15....a retail of $30 I think would be wwwaaaaayyyyy too high. I'll market these as "luxury fibers, treasure-chest jewels".....but I can't think of a name, and I'm wanting for feedback on a price range someone thinks that they would be willing to spend on one.

SO IT'S CONTEST TIME! If you read this blog, then you qualify. I need a title for these beautiful pins with maybe a very tiny marketing line (even the one I have, if it would work) (originally I had been thinking to title them Millifiori, so if nothing better comes up, I may go there, so I'm also looking for feedback on that title... If you don't have any title, but still want to vote, any feedback on pricing or color schemes that would be appealing would be much appreciated (thoughts, suggested pricing, your experiences etc). To leave a vote/feedback, leave it as a comment with a name (and make sure that I have a way to reach you through that comment). All names will be put in a hat and my sweet son will pull a name out and that person wins a flower!

(editing in to add: the diameter of the flowers averages 4 1/2 inches, the centers being 1 1/2 to 2 inches wide. So they are bigger than the size of the palm of your hand, but not quite the size of a coffee saucer).

12 Comments:

At January 14, 2006 3:58 AM, Blogger Amie said...

I like Millifiori - it's accurate and gives that touch of elegance.

And actually I think if you're using cashmere and real pearl, $25 - 30 isn't out of line. It would depend on the clientelle of the stores you're pitching to - it wouldn't fly in a craftmart, but in an upscale shop with higher end product, I think that's quite reasonable!

 
At January 15, 2006 4:46 AM, Blogger Rachel said...

Gorgeous! What's the worst that could happen??? You end up with some beautiful flower pins, that you give as gifts next Christmas. Just think of the people you'll meet and the connections you'll make while marketing yourself - who knows what will come of it!!!

Rachel

 
At January 15, 2006 6:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like them! And I'm not a pin/flowery person (usually) but I can even think of a top to put one on. They're inspiring :)

I've seen flower pins selling here for 20e (about $25) and none with real pearls. I would sell them as "a piece of love" perhaps?

As for colours, I'd try to make most of them in 'easy to coordinate' ones (like the red and black), and then a few ones in "madder" styles.

Wish lots of luck with this project! :)

 
At January 15, 2006 6:32 AM, Blogger Sue said...

I agree with amie - for cashmere and real pearls, $25-30 doesn't seem that expensive.

Check out these links:

Silk Flower pin
Another one

 
At January 15, 2006 7:42 AM, Blogger adrienne said...

They are very nice, and I know that the price would be very reasonable in most of the places I have lived.
But I would definitely consider the store's style and clientele...
Good luck!

 
At January 15, 2006 12:35 PM, Blogger knottyknitpicks said...

those are beautiful pieces of artwork! not sure what Millifiori means although i found out on the internet that mille fiori is italian for thousand flowers. :) which makes it a perfect name, imo. if you are using cashmere and pearl, then $25 is not terribly expensive.

i'd also like to suggest showcasing ways that the pins are worn. from people of all ages to all different walks of life. maybe a small picturebook? you know, photos of people showing off the pins on beanies, scarves, shawls, caplets, sweaters, etc. :) i think that will give your buyers lots of ideas on how to wear them. i know that is why i want to learn to crochet - to make my own pins to accessorize. good luck on your business venture!!!

 
At January 15, 2006 5:04 PM, Blogger Bezzie said...

I think they're gorgeous. I like the name...however, let me play devil's advocate...if you're selling them at a bead store, when I think Millifiori, I think of the polymer clay cane millifiori beads. That might make some bead shoppers scratch their heads.

 
At January 16, 2006 11:14 AM, Blogger Rachel said...

Beautiful work!! I would pay 25 to 30 for them, they are gorgeous! Good luck with them.

 
At January 17, 2006 10:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like them. They look vintage and I love vintage accessories with my plain modern work clothes.

I agree that $25-30 per pin isn't too much for handmade cashmere with real pearls, especially in a boutique type shop.

Good luck!

 
At January 17, 2006 9:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog name!! I share your motto!
Welcome to the blogging ring too!

 
At January 19, 2006 8:44 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said...

How about "Rhoeas"? - that's the second half of the corn poppy's botanical name.

"Rhoeas: Cashmere and pearl poppies...only the finest for you."

 
At April 20, 2006 11:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like Bloomers...it catches you.
The flowers are georgeous.
Good luck.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home